And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Tim. 3:16.
The incarnation of Christ is the mystery of all mysteries.
That He might accomplish His purpose of love for the fallen race, He became bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh.
How wide is the contrast between the divinity of Christ and the helpless infant in Bethlehem’s manger! How can we span the distance between the mighty God and a helpless child? And yet the Creator of worlds, He in whom was the fullness of the Godhead bodily, was manifest in the helpless babe in the manger. Far higher than any of the angels, equal with the Father in dignity and glory, and yet wearing the garb of humanity! Divinity and humanity were mysteriously combined, and man and God became one.
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man’s nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.
Those who claim that it was not possible for Christ to sin, cannot believe that He really took upon Himself human nature. But was not Christ actually tempted, not only by Satan in the wilderness, but all through His life, from childhood to manhood?
Our Saviour took humanity, with all its liabilities. He took the nature of man, with the possibility of yielding to temptation. We have nothing to bear which He has not endured.
From Devotional: Our Father Cares, pp. 65, 66
- The Power of Christianity (seekerstruth.wordpress.com)
- Forgiveness and the Cross (savedbygraceblogdotcom.wordpress.com)
- What is body theology? a miniseries (bodytheologyblog.wordpress.com)
- Tuesday Devotional from KPC (sunshinelittleone.wordpress.com)
- The Real Meaning of Christmas (there I done wrote it!) (magicoftheordinary.wordpress.com)
- I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do… I press on toward the goal (richardangulo.wordpress.com)
- Christ: God Incarnate (pastormatthias.com)
- The everlasting God . . . neither faints nor is weary (richardangulo.wordpress.com)