Osceola McCarty (growing up) wanted to be a Nurse. When in 6th Grade she was forced to drop out of school to help support her family. She became a washerwoman. 3 years before died Ms Mccarty gave a gift to the Univ of southern Miss. Of $150,000.00 (the majority of her life savings). She stipulated the funds would be used for black students who couldn’t otherwise afford to attend the school. She continued laundry work until 1994 (when arthritis forced her to retire).
- Tornado touches down on campus of Southern Miss (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Ex-Southern Miss QB says he will transfer to Ole Miss (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Memphis clinches at least share of C-USA title with win over Southern Miss (collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- ‘Biography and History’ (valaida.com)
- Bennett named President of The University of Southern Mississippi (southernmissmultimedia.wordpress.com)
- Dan McCarty celebrates literacy (tcpalm.com)