Kathleen Cleaver was in charge of organizing a student conference at Fisk University in Nashville, TN. At the conference, Kathleen met the minister of information for the Black Panther Party, Eldridge Cleaver. She moved to San Francisco in November, 1967, to join the Black Panther Party. Kathleen Neal and Eldridge Cleaver were married on December 27, 1967. Cleaver became the communications secretary and the first female member of the Party’s decision-making body.
- Black History Month: Kathleen Cleaver defends the right to self-defend (lawreigns.com)
- They Do Not All Sound Alike: Sampling Kathleen Cleaver, Assata Shakur, and Angela Davis (soundstudiesblog.com)
- Fear the ‘Fro (blackamericaweb.com)
- ‘Black Against Empire,’ by Bloom and Martin (sfgate.com)
- On Black History Month: Every Month is OUR Month (teacherpop.org)